Subscribe:

Pages

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Irish Birthday Cake

This is the cake version of the orange cupcakes for my friend's 22nd birthday. Not my greatest masterpiece but after surviving an initial icing crisis, it was a modest success. Both he and his family loved the cake. They're irish so they loved that the cake was in the shape of a shamrock.



I added green food coloring to the orange cream cheese frosting. I like to use the Wilton gel icing colors. They offer more pigment without altering taste or consistency. 



I tripled the original recipe and split it between two 9x13 pans. Then I drew out a shamrock on a piece of paper and cut it out. Once both cakes were cooled I placed the stencil on top and cut out my shamrock with a knife.


I had a lot of cake left over so I used it to make cake balls. I crumbled up the leftover cake, mixed it with my leftover frosting and used a cookie scoop to roll the cake mixture into balls. I used green candy melts to coat the cake and melted vanilla bark to add some fun drizzle. The cake balls were an afterthought and were kinda messy but still kind of pretty and definitely edible. 



No comments:

Post a Comment