Subscribe:

Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The 12 days of Christmas Baking: Day 12 Sugar Cut Out Cookies

On the 12th day of Christmas my True Love Baked for Me.....

Sugar cut out cookies. One of my favorite parts of Christmas and also the bane of my existence. Two Christmases ago I make some cut out sugar cookies but they turned out kinda puffy and my icing wasn't quite right. Last Christmas I struggled so much with them that I eventually gave up and threw away my batch of dough. It's very unlike me, but in my defense I was in a huge baking rut at the time. This Christmas I was determined to make some killer sugar cut out cookies.

 I decided that part of my problem with cut out sugar cookies is that I'm always determined to use all 30 of my cookie cutters and use every color of frosting under the sun. I decided to streamline my baking so I wouldn't stress myself out. I chose three shapes and used sprinkles instead of different colored icings. I also chilled the cookies on the cookie sheets in between batches to prevent them from puffing up in the oven.


Christmas trees, snowflakes and candy canes!



My favorite was the snowflake although I think they would have looked better with some blue sprinkles.



I had a little bit of extra dough leftover so I had to make some miniature sugar cookies for my dog. 

Sugar Cookie Cutouts (from Better Homes and Gardens Holiday Baking)

2/3c butter softened
3/4c granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 Tb milk
1 tsp vanilla
2c all-purpose flour

Beat butter on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined.

Add egg, milk and vanilla and beat until combined.

Gradually beat in flour with mixer.

Divide dough in half, cover and chill 30mins or until easy to handle.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

On a floured surface roll out cookie dough to 1/4in thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Place 1in apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 7 to 10 mins or until edges are firm or very light brown. Transfer to wire racks to cool.



Powdered Sugar Icing

Combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/4tsp vanilla and 1 Tb milk. Add more milk 1 tsp at a time if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment